Before we delve into the intricacies of how we chose what we believe to be the best low light camera, we are first going to cover what low light photography actually is.
Despite what the name may suggest, low light photography does not necessarily mean that’s done at night. The light sources may vary, but if the light is lesser than daytime light, then it should be treated as low light. This could be anything from an indoor shoot in the day without additional light sources, to nighttime shoots.
Setting up your camera
Even if you’re equipped with the best camera for low light, if you’re unable to actually use your equipment efficiently, you’ll never reap the full benefits of the hardware.
While light sensitivity is obviously one of the biggest factors, there’s a lot more involved than just increasing your ISO to the highest it can go. To get the most out of your camera in low light conditions, we recommend utilising the following tips:
- ISO – A higher ISO increases the camera’s sensitivity to light, so it makes sense that it needs to be higher in non-optimal lighting conditions. You may need to take a few photos to hone in on the perfect ISO setting.
- Shutter speed – Shutter speed will also need to be increased to a high level. This will ensure that your photos are sharp and crisp, with no unintended blur from motion.
- Exposure – While exposure will need to be increased, it’s important to note that it’s better to underexpose rather than overexpose. This is because you will be able to fix underexposure with post-production software, whereas overexposure it will be near to impossible.
- Aperature – Just like with our eye’s iris, the larger the lens aperture, the more light will be allowed into the camera. While it may make the background blurry, it will help to focus in on the main focal point of the photo. The aperture won’t need too much attention unless in very low light conditions.
The best camera for low light – Sony a7 III
|Sony a7 III Full-Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable-Lens Camera Optical with 3-Inch LCD, Black...||157 Reviews||View on Amazon|
The Sony a7 III mirrorless camera is without a doubt the best on the market for low light photography.
Amazingly, out of the cameras we had access to, the a7 III managed to deliver clean and crisp photos at the staggering ISO level of 51200.
What was even more startling was that it even managed to produce cleaner footage compared to it’s more expensive brother, the aR7 III, at ISO 25600. However, it should be noted that the Sony aR7 III is only built to be a high performance still photography camera, even though does well as an allrounder.
It should be noted that as of writing, there is another camera in the a7 range which is due to be released at the end of the year. This will likely trump the a7 III, but only time will tell.
Advanced tips for taking photographs in low light
We have outlined some very basic tips on how to take photos in low light previously, but if you’re an advanced photographer who understands how to use a camera to its full capacity, then these tips are for you.
Taking photographs in low light is a lot easier if some pre-planning is done. For instance, what kind of light do you expect before you get there? When is the most optimal time to take photos in the style that you want? Taking a photo at dusk, dawn, or night, will really change the feel of the image.
Certain pieces of equipment are invaluable and can make impossible shots possible. A suitable flash, tripod and lens can make or break your photo. A decent flashlight is also a handy investment, as it allows you to ensure you can see all of the buttons you need to press, and to make sure you haven’t left any gear behind when it’s time to leave.
Tripods – never leave home without one
As you’ve probably already gathered by now, less light means slower shutter speeds. Slow shutter speeds not only can make your camera shake, but will also give more opportunity for external influences to shake your camera (like yourself).
Tripods will not eliminate blur from a moving object, but it will reduce the chance of an image blurring due to camera shake. These hand bits of kit means that you can use shutter speeds that would be impossible to use if you were to hold the camera yourself. Doesn’t matter how steady you think you are, you’ll never take a perfect slow shutter speed photo if you’re holding the camera.
For those who want to achieve the perfect photo, a self-timer or remote release should be used. This stops the camera from moving when you press any buttons on the camera, as you will be clicking an external remote.
Manual mode or shutter priority
If you were ever looking for a reasonable excuse to take your camera off auto, low light photography is the answer. Doing so will allow you to choose whatever shutter speed you want for your shot. If you’re not fully confident in doing everything manually, shutter priority is another option that’s better than auto. It ensures that the shutter speed stays exactly at the speed that you require it to, whilst changing all of the other variables for you.
Know your limits
Some cameras, like the Sony a7 III, excel at using high ISOs, whereas others will produce a grainy mess. It’s imperative that you understand how your gear works and its limitations. It’s a good idea to take a few test shots at different light levels and ISOs and view them on your computer at full size. This will allow you to determine where the noise creeps in on the shots and where loss of detail starts to become apparent.
- Advanced 24.2MP BSI Full-frame Image Sensor w/ 1.8X readout speed* Advanced 24.2MP Back-Illuminated 35mm Full-frame Image Sensor * Sony test conditions. Compare to the α7 II
- 15-stop dynamic range, 14-bit uncompressed RAW, ISO 50 to 204,800
- Up to 10fps Silent or Mechanical Shutter with AE/AF tracking. Battery Life (Still Images) - Approx. 610 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 710 shots (LCD monitor), Battery Life (Movie, continuous recording) - Approx. 200 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 210 min (LCD monitor)
- 693 phase-detection / 425 contrast AF points w/ 93% image coverage.Focus Sensor:Exmor R CMOS sensor
- In the box: Rechargeable Battery (NP-FZ100), AC Adaptor (AC-UUD12), Shoulder strap, Body cap, Accessory shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable.Metering Type:1200-zone evaluative metering
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony α7 III Full Frame Mirrorless Camera with 28-70mm and 50mm Lens, Koah Sima Condenser Microphone for Digital Camera, Sony UHS-II Memory Card (64GB), Koah Sony NP-FZ100 Two-Pack Rechargeable 2000mAh Battery and Dual Charger, Weatherproof Hard Case, 2.0 USB-C to USB-A Cable, Focus Accessories for 260 Bag and Corel Software Kit
- SONY A7 III CAMERA: Advanced 24.2MP back-illuminated 35mm image sensor and Includes 28-70mm Lens
- PROCESSING ENGINE: An updated BIONZ X processing-engine that boosts processing speed by approximately 1.8 times compared to the α7 II. This results in high sensitivity with low-noise performance and wide 15-stop dynamic range.
- FE 50MM LENS: The new lightweight FE 50mm F1.8 "normal" prime lens delivers an outstanding blend of performance, compactness and value, making it a perfect choice for hobbyist photographers and videographers looking to experience the benefits of a wide aperture prime lens at an attainable cost.
- Sony Authorized Dealer - Includes USA Manufacturer's Warranty
- KIT INCLUDES: Sony Alpha a7 III 24MP UHD 4K Mirrorless Digital Camera - FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens (SEL2870) - AC-UUD12 AC Adapter - Accessory Shoe Cap - Body Cap - Eyepiece Cup - Lens Cap - Lens Hood - Lens Rear Cap - Micro USB Cable - NP-FZ100 Rechargeable Battery - Shoulder Strap - Sony 1 Year Limited Warranty - 32GB SDHC U3 Card - Lowepro Camera Case - 55mm Filter Kit (UV/CPL/ND) - Spare Battery - Cleaning Kit - Memory wallet - Card Reader - PC Software Package
- GAIN CONTROL OF EXPRESSIVE FREEDOM: With outstanding imaging capability and high-speed performance contained in a compact body, the a7 III gives you the power, precision and flexibility to capture once-in-a-lifetime moments just as you like.
- BACK-ILLUMINATED FULL FRAME SENSOR WITH HIGHER SENSITIVITY AND READOUT SPEED: The 35-mm full-frame CMOS image sensor with back-illuminated structure enhances light collection efficiency, expands circuitry scale, and, with the help of a copper wiring layer that contributes to quicker data transfer, outputs data at very high speed, while minimizing noise to reveal fine details in every picture.
- STEADIER SHOTS WITH 5-AXIS STABILIZATION: The latest high-precision stabilization uses stabilization unit and gyro sensors and algorithms to achieve a 5.0-step shutter speed advantage in a system that compensates five types of camera shake with a wide range of lenses and delivers excellent performance.
- 4D FOCUS-AF PERFORMANCE EVOLVES: AF performance is improved using the same AF advancements as in the a9 and applying it optimally. Once the a7 III captures such unpredictably moving subjects as dancers, boxers and wild animals in action, it won't easily let them go. - This camera features 693 phase-detection AF points covering approx. 93% of image area, plus 425 densely positioned contrast-detection AF points to improve focus.
- SONY AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full SONY USA WARRANTY
- Sony a7III Full Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera Body
- 24.2MP 35mm full-frame back-illuminated CMOS sensor, Sensitivity range up to ISO 51200, Fast Hybrid AF with 693 phase and 425 contrast detection points, 4K HDR movie recording capability
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Sony a7III Full Frame Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (Body Only) - Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100 - AC Adaptor - Shoulder strap - Body cap - Accessory shoe cap - Eyepiece cup - Micro USB cable - Sony USA Warranty
- BUNDLE INCLUDES:64GB Class 10 UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card - Deco Gear Camera Bag for DSLR and Mirrorless- 67" Digital Camera Monopod - 12" Rubberized Spider Tripod - SLR Photo/Video Rechargeable LED Light - Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Digital Download - Wireless Shutter Release Remote Control - Bounce and Swivel Slave Flash - Wrist Grip Strap - Dust Removal Blower System - Lens Cleaning Pen - Memory Card Wallet - Card Reader - Mini Tripod - Screen Protectors - 3pc. Cleaning Kit - Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
- INCREDIBLE DETAIL: Shoot high-speed subjects at up to 10fps with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking
- OPTIMAL LIGHT: A back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor with gapless on-chip lens collects more light.Operating Temperature 32 - 104 degrees F / 0 - 40 degrees C
- FASTER IMAGE PROCESSING: An updated BIONZ X processing engine boosts processing speeds up to 1.8x
- STUNNING HD VIDEO: Sony Alpha 7R 3 mirror less cameras record clear 4K video for editing and viewing
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Power cord, charger, cable protector, shoulder strap, body/shoe caps, eyepiece cup.Metering Type:1200-zone evaluative metering
Last update on 2019-06-20 at 17:07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API